History In 1933, two local physicians -- Charles Newland, MD, and C.D. Cunningham, MD -- believed that Transylvania County should have a hospital of its own. Thanks to their initiative and foresight, Lyday Memorial Hospital was established in the Norwood House at 206 West Probart Street in downtown Brevard. Later that same year, visionary leaders incorporated the hospital as a not-for-profit institution governed by a local board of trustees. In 1935, the hospital already recognized the need to expand to serve the community's healthcare needs. It moved to a larger home (still a residential house) on 543 Country Club Road. In 1939, Lyday Memorial was renamed Transylvania Community Hospital. Outgrowing its home on Country Club Road, Transylvania Community Hospital moved again in 1942. This time, a hospital facility was built at the corner of Country Club Road and Hayes Street (currently the Brian Center). It was the first building project undertaken by Transylvania Community Hospital. Funding for the $110,000 project included $25,000 from Ecusta Paper (employee donations were matched by owner Harry Straus), a $34,000 grant from the Duke Endowment and the balance primarily from community contributions. As part of the campaign, local employees donated one hour's pay every week for 13 weeks. In 1952, this hospital facility was expanded, with the addition of the Harry H. Straus wing, and it served the Brevard community for the next 20 years. The current Transylvania Regional Hospital building on Hospital Drive was completed in 1973, bringing another major milestone in community care with a modern facility providing expanded, comprehensive services. The hospital board showed great vision in selecting the site. Choosing an area between Brevard and Pisgah Forest that was still relatively undeveloped at that time, they acquired a 36-acre tract. By having room to build, medical offices and other related services have been able to locate close to the hospital. In 1989, the hospital began its first major expansion and renovation. This three-year project was strategically planned in response to the community's growing and evolving healthcare needs. It focused on areas that included ambulatory, medical support, diagnostic and obstetrics services. By this time, the Transylvania Community Hospital Foundation had been established. Thanks to the generous support from the community, the foundation was able to raise more than $1.3 million for this $3.4 million project. In 2000, a three-year expansion project was launched -- based on strategic research, sound planning and community need. The new Outpatient, Surgery and Radiology departments enhanced the hospital's ability to provide patients with the benefits of remarkable advances in medicine, such as same-day surgery and diagnostic technology. In 2008, in celebration of the hospital's 75th anniversary and the opening of its new $18 million state-of-the-art inpatient wing, the hospital was renamed Transylvania Regional Hospital to better reflect our growing service to patients across our region. In 2012, Transylvania Regional Hospital became a full member of the Mission Health. In 2018, Transylvania Regional Hospital opened a new, state-of-the-art emergency department featuring 12 spacious exam rooms, including four behavioral health safe rooms. Transylvania Regional Hospital was named a 100 Top Critical Access Hospital in 2018 by Becker's Hospital Review. In 2017, the hospital’s Transitional Care Unit also earned -- for the fourth consecutive year -- a 5-star rating from Medicare.gov’s Nursing Home Compare classification tool.