As the only Child Life program in western North Carolina, our team serves the region’s diverse population of children from all developmental levels and medical diagnoses. Our goal is to ease the stress and anxiety of medical experiences by providing activities that support you and your child’s ability to cope with the hospital experience through play, developmentally appropriate education for procedures and/or diagnoses, and expressive activities. Our Child Life specialists work closely with caregivers and the medical team to address your child's concerns and stressors in order to provide a more comfortable hospital experience.
The Child Life program provides the following services to our patients and their families:
- Ease a child’s fear and anxiety with therapeutic and recreational play activities
- Foster an environment that incorporates emotional support
- Encourage understanding and cooperation by providing non-medical preparation and support for children undergoing tests, surgeries and other medical procedures
- Advocate for family-centered care
- Engage and energize children and families by coordinating special events, entertainment and activities
- Consider the needs of siblings or other children who may also be affected by a child’s illness or trauma
- Direct pre-admission hospital tours and resources, and consultations with outpatient families
- Support families confronting grief and bereavement issues
- Provide information and resources for parents and members of the interdisciplinary team
For general questions about our child life program or donation inquiries, please email the Child Life Supervisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 828-213-0689.
Child Life Resources and Information
Please click on the links below for further information.
*Our intern and practicum programs are currently not accepting applicants. Please visit our site again in the future to stay updated